We recently ran a Cash Mob Challenge on #wewillgather, encouraging people to start a cash mob to support local business. So what's a cash mob and how can you make yours a success?
What’s a Cash Mob?
A flash mob waving cash! A cash mob is an event in which people come together to shop at one shop at the same time, usually pledging to spend a minimum amount of £5 or £10. There aren’t really any fixed rules, but here are some pointers:
Seven Steps to Cash Mob Success
1. A few weeks before you want to cash mob pick a date, and a central meeting point. Create a #wewillgather action by Tweeting the hashtag #wewillgather, the word help and a postcode. Start a Facebook event too, and invite everyone you know.
2. Ask for nominations for a shop to be mobbed, against certain criteria (e.g. locally owned, walking distance from the meet point, range of goods under a fiver). This gets people involved and gets them talking about good local shops.
3. Talk about it online- use Twitter and Facebook and use the #wewillgather hashtag to extend your reach.
4. The night before your cash mob, place your nominated shops into a hat.
5. On the day go to the meeting point and wait for people to come (it’s nervewracking, but they will). Try to look obvious; consider using a marker. A helium balloon or brightly coloured umbrella works well. Or we can send you a #wewillgather T-shirt!
6. Wait a few minutes to ensure everyone is there. Pull the name out of the hat, shout it out and go and spend your money.
7. Mix it up – you could give your cash mob a theme (food, for example) or you could add something extra, like feedback forms for the shop so they are left with a lasting legacy, or bring a busker to keep the mob entertained. It's your cash mob - make it special!